Detroit’s first cartographer, Silas Farmer included this map (pg. 35) in his book: “The history of Detroit and Michigan, or The Metropolis Illustrated” in 1884. He noted that the Cass and Brush Farms were the most prominent and most often mentioned because they represented the Eastern (Brush) and Western (Cass) borders of the city. The city had recently been unofficially expanded to reach to Mt. Elliott Avenue to the East and the edge of Porter Farm to the West.